Thursday, January 13, 2011

~ Wanton

I have a problem. You see, I have been really busy with schoolwork nowadays.. And the products that were bought online are streaming in like salmon swimming up the river for mating season. With my to-do list growing longer and longer, how can I take time off to bake/cook? One good short-cut way is to assist Mum!

Photo2308

This time around, she had prepared the meat filling so what I had to do was to wrap them up and put them to boil before featuring them here. It might seem easy, but it really wasn’t. I was pretty puzzled over the fact that the wanton wrappers were rectangular, not squares, and this made wrapping challenging when I tried to shape them into triangles with a generous spoonful of filling each. Mum later educated me that the wanton wrappers were meant to be made into rectangles instead of triangles. Ops, so much for the aesthetic purpose =x

This is the outcome after boiling them in a broth containing caixin, soybeans and ikan bilis:

Photo2311

I’m always impressed with multitude of stuff that Mum uses in her wanton fillings. There will be black fungus, prawn, pork, carrot shreds.. And so on. Each time the wantons would be consistently delectable.

Photo2313

Another brilliant way to have short-cuts? Make simple recipes! I’m thinking of baking mung bean cakes. The texture is that of crumbly ones, but only when you put one into your mouth. I have heard of Vietnamese ones, but they seem to vary slightly from the Chinese ones. Regardless, mung bean cakes are still yummy, and I can’t wait to get my hands-on experience!

No comments:

<bgsound src='NAME OF FILE'></bgsound>