Saturday, February 20, 2010

~ Almond Biscuit Thins

Image2780

Taken from:
Ellie's Kitchen Wench

Description:
Thin crispy cookies with almonds~

Ingredients:
100 g caster sugar
1 large egg
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
150 g flour
75 g whole almonds

Directions
1) Beat sugar and egg till thick, creamy and pale. Stir in vanilla extract.
2) Add the flour and almonds and mix till well combined to get a dough.
3) Divide and shape dough into 2 logs. Place on a well-greased baking tin.
4) Bake in preheated oven at 170 deg for 20 - 25 min or till lightly coloured, firm to the touch and cooked through. Remove from the oven and completely cool down.
5) Using a serrated knife, slice the logs diagonally into 3mm thick slices. Place the slices in a single layer on a baking tray and bake for 15 - 20 mins at 140 deg, or till they are golden and crisp. Cool before storage.

Remarks:
It's my habit to just jot down the gist of each recipe, omitting loads of steps and using illegible shorthand language, and this holds true for this recipe too. After mixing in the flour and almonds, I was literally in a state of wonderment, thinking how the recipe owner managed to handle such a wet and sticky dough without oil or more flour. So without further-ado, I reached out for the vegetable oil to oil my hands, and shaped my wet dough into two amorphic logs.

As I sit back after placing the logs in the oven and review the site where the recipe originated from, I found the reason for my blunder experienced previously: "3) Turn the mixture onto a lightly floured surface and knead till smooth." Oh dear, I had unknowingly filtered this important information out! 

Heart-racing, I went to take a look at the two petite (still amorphic though) logs basking in the moderately-heated oven, looking ever so innocent and chaste as any dough should be. *sigh* These biscuits would probably deal a great blow to my ego (battered and hurt by unkind remarks over and over again) again.

Fortunately, the cookies weren't that bad. Crunchy, sweet with a slight touch of almonds. The only qualms I have with them was that they tasted just like sugar cookies and couldn't be sliced to my desired thinness. It was quite tough to slice the logs diagonally since the crust of each log became too crusty to be sliced through easily, so I had opted the easier way out by slicing them vertically and thickly. Not so wafer-thin now! Those thicker ones were tough as rocks, but the thin ones were fantastic! I shall make a mental note to not over-bake the logs till golden-brown.

These biscotti-like biscuits make a great of accompaniment to hi-tea. Fill up a jar of them..

Image2790

.. and soon, you'll be left with none:

Image2800

Dad came home with a enchanting pack of artisan chocolates from Jewels. I really love their presentation:

Image2770

Image2777

And innovation in coming up with Chinese New Year-related versions of sweets (wintermelon seed rocher and orangette): 

Image2775

I haven't really tried them since I was too saturated with my biscuits. I'm not sure if we share the same sentiments, but they sure seemed enticing to me.

No comments:

<bgsound src='NAME OF FILE'></bgsound>