Monday, January 26, 2009

~ Chocolate Oatmeal

Image004_1

Taken from:
Tiff's

Description:
Heart-healthy breakfast for those on the go!

Ingredients:
75 g instant oatmeal
2 tsp cocoa powder
2 tsp sweetened condensed milk
150 ml hot water

Directions
1. Mix oatmeal and cocoa powder together, and stir in the hot water. Allow to stand for 5-10 min.
2. Stir in the condensed milk and enjoy!

Remarks:
I have this for breakfast almost everyday, and the reasons are really clear.
1) Breakfast is important - you need to break the fasting through the night so that you can rev up your metabolism for the day. Studies have shown that people who take breakfast are less likely to overeat during the day and thus, are able to better maintain their weight and health.
2) This recipe's packed full with antioxidants (cocoa has a higher antioxidant amount compared to dark chocolate), and imparts heart-saving benefits (consuming 75 g of oats a day has been shown to decrease the risk of heart diseases and cholesterol). Skip the condensed milk if you simply abhor sugar, but the taste may be too bitter to swallow!
3) Quick to prepare. I just add water to the oats before I brush my teeth in the morning and leave it to stand; stir in the condensed milk and consume after washing up.
4) Saves $.
5) Prevents my hyperactive tummy from bringing me embarrassment when I'm in class.

Try to have a serving of fruit/vegetable after this quick breakfast (I like apple dipped in yoghurt). Remember your 5 servings of F&V a day!

Image009

2 comments:

jordan said...

Whoa, that looks yummy! I never thought of doing that....we have everything for it though, maybe I'll make it tomorrow morning!

As for those muffins.....they are actually kind of good...they're more savory than sweet, which is interesting. Nuts would probably be a good addition to em. I guess they do have some extra moisture inside them, because of the fruit, but it's hard to avoid.

larkygal said...

Thanks! Actually I like my oats more on the bland side so feel free to adjust the amt of sweetened milk and cocoa accordingly k? Do take note of the calories though :p

Sometimes, food tastes better after a period of time, to develop the flavour. Maybe that's the case for ur muffins

<bgsound src='NAME OF FILE'></bgsound>