Monday, March 23, 2009

~ Tomato Barley Soup

Image089

Modified from:
Allrecipes

Description:
Versatile barley and vegetable soup for the soul~

Ingredients:
1 carrot, cut into chunks
1/2 green pepper, sliced
1 clove garlic
2 small tomatoes, diced
2.5 g bonito flakes
1/4 C pearl barley
1 C water
1/2 tsp oil

Directions:
1. Sauteed garlic, carrot and green pepper in oil.
2. Add in the rest of the ingredients and bring to boil.
3. Simmer for 20 min till barley is soft. Serve warm on a rainy day.

Remarks:
Somehow it's a soup with a very distinct aroma (fishy, sourish) and I guess it would take an acquired taste to like it. Ran out of celery and onions, and I threw in bonito flakes to act as soup stock, so most probably resulting in the overwhelming aroma. I particularly like the barley bits added- chewy and bursting with taste.

Personally I think that the oil was uncalled for - just throw everything like a one-pot stew and walah~ a simple and hearty mix of tomato soup.

This aside, I've been rather busy lately, with a test every week till the study week, which is then followed by my semester-end exams~ Kinda stressed, but I shall be optimistic and have D-E-S-S-E-R-T-S (stressed spelt backwards) instead =)
Oh ya, I shall keep a lookout for the recipe (can't find online nor in books T.T) for egg boros too, I simply adore these little cute sugary treats:

Image084
I want to make them after my exams!!

No comments:

<bgsound src='NAME OF FILE'></bgsound>