Friday, July 24, 2009

~ Apple Honey Cake

Image0449Image0446Image0443Image0451


Taken from:
Steve Manfredi


Description:
Honey-infused cake with apple filling~

Ingredients:
2 eggs
40 g sugar
45 g honey
40 g butter, softened
1 tbsp milk
150 g self-raising flour, sifted
1/2 tsp cinnamon
2 Golden Delicious apples, skinned and chopped


Directions:
1) Beat butter, sugar, honey and milk till pale.
2) Beat in eggs, one at a time, till fluffy and well-mixed.
3) Fold in the flour gently. The batter should be slightly tacky, but not doughy.
4) Spoon 1/4 or 1/2 of the batter into a well-greased and floured 12 cm round tin.
5) Bake in preheated oven at 160 deg for 75 min, or till done. Cool before unmoulding.

Remarks:
It's a long time since I baked! So long that I can't even follow the recipe correctly (may I'm just too stubborn to follow any recipe exactly)! =p

Firstly, I measured 1 1/2 C of plain flour, 1/2 tsp of baking soda and 1 tsp of baking powder, thinking that the combination would substitute the self-raising flour and only realising that it's 150 GRAMS of flour. Fortunately I found out the mistake before adding the flour to the egg mixture. Secondly, I was greedy again and added 2 apples instead of 1 1/2, which almost overfilled my baking tin. Thirdly, I must have measured something wrongly as the batter turned out to be too dry though I used 2 eggs instead of 1 1/2 as stated in the recipe, so I had no choice but to add in one tbsp of milk. Fourthly, I beat sugar with butter first, not with eggs. Fifthly, I brought down the oven temperature from 180 to 160 deg after 10 min of baking, and shielded the crust of the cake with an aluminium foil. Lastly, in an attempt to accentuate the honey taste, I changed the proportion of sugar and honey (it's a good move I guess, for the batter tasted really good!).

The cake was alright, abit on the bland side as the honey taste wasn't very apparent. I'm still on the search for better apple honey cake recipes. Maybe I shall try this out the next time.

Update (22/9/09) - Found the following info for using honey in baking that seems useful:

For people trying to cut refined and processed foods out of their diets, honey is the original all-natural and unprocessed sweetener. And, since it's sweeter than white sugar, you can use less of it when baking:

Use ¾ cup plus 1 tablespoon of honey for every cup of sugar
Decrease the liquid in the recipe by ¼ cup
Add ½ teaspoon of baking soda for every cup of honey
Reduce your oven temperature by 25 degrees

Another reason honey is great to use when baking is because it's hygroscopic (water-attracting): it absorbs moisture from the air, keeping your baked goods moist and delicious for days.

<bgsound src='NAME OF FILE'></bgsound>