Sunday, December 20, 2009

~ Flaxseed Cheese Rollups

Image1943

Recently, I've realised that I haven't been eating my omega-3s from oily fish.. So I stepped right into Phoon Huat Shop and bought a 500 g pack of flaxseeds. Holding onto my prized possession, I gleefully went home and the next day (or so I think), I've added some of the raw flaxseeds into my usual cheese and bread.

Totally clueless and curious about this foreign seed, I googled for more information and got a shock! Cyanide (toxic) is present in raw flaxseeds! Geez, I'd consumed quite a lot from my breakfast then! *faint*

Anyway, I've found out that it is best to take them grounded/milled since the flax seed coat is very tough and one wouldn't reap the health benefits if the seeds pass through the gut unchanged. I'm so going to roast them (can be stored in the fridge for up to 1 year) and grind them down just before I add them for my omega-3 boost.

Image1942

*Update* I've roasted a small batch by dry-frying them in a saucepan.. Their fragrance was distinctively different from roasted sesame seeds, and boy they are crunchy!

<bgsound src='NAME OF FILE'></bgsound>