Tuesday, December 29, 2009

~ Mexican Whole Wheat Flour Tortilla

Image2161

Adapted from:
Allrecipes

Description:
Thin, unleavened flatbread~

Ingredients (makes 6 8" tortillas):
40 g plain flour
160 g wholewheat flour
Pinch of salt
15 g extra virgin olive oil
20 g sunflower or any vegetable oil
120 ml boiling water

Directions:
1) Combine flour, wholewheat flour and salt together in a large bowl.
2) Rub in oil, till the texture of oatmeal is achieved.
3) Make a well in the dough, and pour in water. Mix well with a fork.
4) On a lightly-floured surface, knead dough till it doesn't stick to your hands.
5) Roll into 6 golf-ball-sized balls, place on a tray and cover with a warm damp cloth. Let it rest for 1 hour.
6) Roll a tortilla to preferred thickness on a well-floured surface.
7) Heat griddle or frying pain over high heat, and dry-fry each tortilla on one side. Once the first bubble is seen (around 1 min), flip over the tortilla and fry for another 30 min. Carry out step 6 while waiting for the tortilla to cook.
8) Serve, refrigerate or freeze tortillas.

Remarks:
A tour in the bread section of any supermarket would leave someone agape with horror - purchasing 8 wholewheat tortillas is tantamount to buying 4 - 5 loafs of enriched wholewheat bread! Now, what would justify this? Since I felt like having a tortilla wrap and have been wanting to make my own tortillas, I thought to myself: why not make it on a fine cooling day like today?

A quick search on my favourite portal landed me on this recipe. I tweaked it slightly by using EVOO and sunflower oil in place of the shortening. This made the tortillas a little dry and I couldn't roll them up without cracks, so perhaps next time around more oil can be used. The dough was easy to work with, and rolled out extremely well - I've made them to a thickness of ~ 1 mm! Taste-wise, one can't expect much, these are flour tortillas mind you!

I'd wrapped a tortilla around a sausage...

Image2156

Image2158

... and another for my salmon patty, and boy they were delish! On a side note, I'm so glad that I didn't get diarrhoea from eating food that was frozen so long ago!

Image2163

The following following day, I rolled a tortilla with scrambled egg and bean sprouts:

Image2219

<bgsound src='NAME OF FILE'></bgsound>