Thursday, January 14, 2010

~ Baked Tofu

Image2313

Adapted from:
TheKitchn

Description:
Chewy tofu bites~

Ingredients:
1 (300 g) block tofu, preferably extra-firm
1/4 C soy sauce

Directions:
1) Drain tofu for 30 min.
2) Cut into vertically into 8 equal pieces, and then once horizontally to get 16 pieces in total.
3) Marinate in soy sauce for 15 min or more.
4) Grease a baking tray, and spread out the tofu cubes. Toast for 10 min on one side and flip over to toast for another 5 min. Or bake in pre-heated oven at 175 deg for a longer period.

Remarks:
The tofu cubes struck me as odd at first - chewy flavoured exterior encasing a soft silken centre. A much different experience from what I had envisioned earlier on. However, I soon got accustomed to the texture and found them pretty satisfying. Furthermore, these make a quick and healthy protein snack, and can be drenched in different marinades to suit one's taste.

With no time to spare in pre-heating the conventional oven, I opted for an alternate way, that is to toast the tofu cubes for a shorter time. I didn't have extra-firm tofu either, so I'd used silken tofu which worked out fine too. There was more moisture locked in, but the aesthetic part was affected since they crumbled easily.

As the original site states, "Try This! Baked Tofu". I'll gladly second this.

No comments:

<bgsound src='NAME OF FILE'></bgsound>