Wednesday, January 20, 2010

~ Healthy Fish Chowder (with Oats)

Image2404

Adapted from:
University of Nebraska–Lincoln

Description:
Creamy low-fat and low GI chowder~

Ingredients (serves 2):
1/2 C chicken stock
1/2 C frozen mixed peas, carrots and corn
1 medium onion, diced
1/4 tsp dried mixed herbs
120 g fish fillets
1/4 C milk
3/4 to 1 C cooked oatmeal
Pepper

Directions
1) Bring chicken stock, frozen veg, onion, herbs and fish to boil, and simmer covered for 10 min. Check that the fish can be easily flaked.
2) Stir in milk and oatmeal, and simmer uncovered till desired consistency. Season with pepper.

Remarks:
I know, it's pretty weird to be sourcing for recipes at an educational institute. But oh well, as long as the recipe's feasible and I like the idea, the source doesn't matter much isn't it? The oats replace the usual potatoes and are the contributing factor that thickens the soup, so do add more if you like. On the whole, the dish suits me fine!

Image2407

I couldn't help but notice that Mum possesses a nose which resembles a metal-detector, which is only specific to what I cook. The mere tinge of onion (though I only boiled them in water), sent Mum scrambling out of bed and nagging at me non-stop for stinking up the whole kitchen. Whereas on the other hand, after that incident, she slept through an awfully sourish stench coming from the nearby refuse collection. Great.

Nothing's wasted in the house, at least in my cooking. The leftover soup was kept in the fridge, and was used at night to make a creamy fish spaghetti! More milk and oats were added since I found that there wasn't enough sauce to go around. I served it with wholewheat spaghetti, over a bed of di huang cai and beansprouts:

Image2410

1 comment:

Cam de la Ron said...

Nice! I can see where adding oats would be a great way to add some healthy fiber and thickness without dulling the flavors of the fish and seafood.

<bgsound src='NAME OF FILE'></bgsound>