Friday, January 22, 2010

~ Kueh Jongkong / Jade

Image2466

Adapted from:
decuisine.net

Description:
Double-layered pandan coconut custard~

Ingredients:
A
1 tbsp tapioca flour
4 tsp rice flour
2 tbsp sugar
30 ml water
2 screwpine leaves / pandan essence
50 ml coconut milk
Dash of salt

B
1 tsp tapioca flour
1 tsp rice flour
1/2 tbsp sugar
50 ml coconut milk
Dash x 2 of salt

Directions
1) Blend screwpine leaves with water in A and sieve.
2) Mix A together and steam on high for 10 - 15 min.
3) Mix B together and add on to mixture A and steam for another 15 min.
4) Slice when cool, and store in the fridge.

Remarks:
There was leftover coconut milk in the fridge, and as we all know, once opened, coconut liquids should be consumed as soon as possible. And what else can we fully utilise coconut milk for apart for nyonya kuehs?

Sweet, yet savoury at the same time, many nyonya kuehs feature coconut milk as one of their main ingredient. I would consider this one as one of the simplest to do with respect to the ingredients needed. No roasting of mung bean flour or steaming tapioca, just simple mixing.. with amazing results.

Image2469

It has the smooth texture of custard on the top layer, whereas the bottom white layer was more of a chunkier version. I would recommend sieving the batter for the top layer for a more even finish, and adding more flour for the bottom layer as it was too soggy for my liking.

Image2461

Anyway, the actual colour of the authentic kueh should have resembled that of the one shown here, but mine's paler like the original blog as I had used screwpine leaves. Feel free to add some green colouring to the batter. Oh ya, I realised that I have sensitive tastebuds towards pandan essence, which seem to leave a bad aftertaste on my tongue after I have had anything with it.

While washing up the dishes, I caught sight of a beetle. This raked up fond memories of my childhood, where I used to "rear" beetles in Polly Pocket toy houses. Immediately, I placed the beetle onto the bed of squashed screwpine leaves. Of course, being a shy creature, the beetle didn't jump straight into feasting. So I gave up observing it, and went to do other things. When I went back to check, it was digging in to the yummy treat beneath its feet! This one's a rare breed - it merely had its fill and flew away! I had expected it to linger slightly longer, or maybe reside permanently (fat hope!) on that little patch of green. If only Man can learn from such creatures the quality of being satisfied with what one has and not going overboard, as well as learning to step out of his own comfort zone.

Image2446

No comments:

<bgsound src='NAME OF FILE'></bgsound>